Nikon D3100 14.2mp DSLR HD 18-55mm VR KIT
- ORKIO CAMERA STRAP SLR - PADDED (Worth $26.04 excl. GSTNZ$ 29.95)
D-Movie for recording and editing full-HD movies and AF-F focus mode for movie recording The D3100 is equipped with the D-Movie function that enables recording of high-definition movies (with monaural sound) by simply pressing the movie-record button. Movies can be recorded with the same aperture and other settings applied in Guide mode.
In addition, the camera also offers an AF-F focus mode for movie recording. When AF-F mode is enabled, the camera focuses continuously during movie recording removing the need for holding the shutter-release button down halfway. The D3100 also offers in-camera movie editing functions that allow users to save a single frame as a still image or delete unnecessary portions from the beginning or end of movie files.
New DX-format 14.2-megapixel CMOS image sensor
Nikon has developed a new DX-format CMOS image sensor offering an effective pixel count of 14.2-million pixels. The new sensor enables the D3100 to produce high-resolution images with outstanding enlargement capability. The camera makes the most of its normal ISO sensitivity up to 3200. For added shooting versatility, the camera's Hi 2 setting increases sensitivity to ISO 12800.
EXPEED 2, Nikon's updated image-processing system
The D3100 is equipped with Nikon's exclusive EXPEED 2 image processing system. The leading-edge technology of the original EXPEED system has been refined, maximising the camera's power to process the large amounts of data generated by the D3100's 14.2-megapixel CMOS sensor. EXPEED 2 meets the demands of the D3100's advanced imaging functions, suppressing noise in still images and movies, while reproducing excellent resolution, long tonal scale and vivid colour range.
Refined Guide mode
Guide mode has been refined to make most camera operations even easier, from shooting to image playback and editing to the application of camera settings, regardless of the user's skill level.
Assist images:The D3100 displays assist images that show the effect of various camera settings, giving users an idea of the results they can expect with specified settings, prior to taking the shot.
Other new functions built into Guide mode:
1. Selection from 3 shooting techniques: "Use the viewfinder," "Use live view," "Shoot movies"
2. "Bring more into focus" and "Show water flowing" options have been added to the "Advanced operation" menu for shooting
3. "Movie settings," "HDMI," "Flicker reduction" and "Eye-Fi upload"* options have been added to the "Set Up" menu for applying basic camera settings
* Only available when compatible Eye-Fi memory card is inserted
Live View shooting
Nikon's versatile Live View shooting, can be accessed with one-touch ease by simply rotating the live view switch. This makes shooting feel more like shooting with a compact digital camera, easing the transition to digital-SLR for beginners. In addition, various information such as the shooting mode, time remaining (movie mode) and battery indicator can be shown in the live view display.
Built-in scene auto selector
The D3100 is equipped with the scene auto selector function. When live view mode is enabled in Auto or Auto (flash off) mode, the camera automatically analyzes the scene and selects the appropriate shooting mode from Portrait, Landscape, Close up or Night portrait.* This function allows users to achieve the intended images while leaving all settings up to the camera.
*Scene auto selector is disabled with manual focusing.
Nikon D3100 Other Functions
u Equipped with a face detection function capable of detecting up to 35 human faces (D3000: up to 5 faces)
u Operation has been improved with the addition of an independent movie-record button and release-mode selector. In addition, the rubber grip provides a better fit.
u Equipped with a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) bus that enables remote control playback of images and movies recorded with the camera when the camera is connected to a high-definition TV
u Equipped with a new exposure compensation algorithm for greater flexibility and performance with NEF (RAW) processing
u The new ViewNX 2 software is bundled with the D3100
- 14.2 MP
- Type of Camera Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Effective Pixels 14.2 million
- Image Sensor Nikon DX format (23.1 x 15.4 mm) CMOS sensor
- Image Size (Pixels) 4,608 x 3,072 [L], 3,456 x 2,3404 [M], 2,304 x 1,536 [S]
- Sensitivity ISO 100 to 3200 in steps of 1 EV, plus HI-1 (ISO 6400) and HI-2 (ISO 12800)
- File Format NEF (12 bit compressed RAW); JPEG (Baseline-compliant); MOV movie (H.264/MPEG-4 compression format with monaural sound)
- Storage Media SD memory card (SDHC and SDXC compliant)
- Shooting Modes 1) Single frame shooting mode, 2) Continuous shooting mode: approx. 3fps, 3) Self-timer mode, 4) Quiet Shutter Release
- White Balance Auto (TTL white-balance with 420-pixel RGB sensor), Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, Shade, White balance preset
- LCD Monitor 3.0", 230,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD
- Playback Function 1) Full-frame, 2) Movie Playback, 3) Thumbnail (4/9/72, calendar) playback, 4) playback zoom, 5) Faces detected during zoom, 6)Slide show 7) RGB histogram display, 8) Highlights, 9) Auto image rotation, 10) Image comment
- Delete Function Single image, Selected images, images taken on a selected date, All images (except protected images)
- Interface USB 2.0 (High-speed), Video output, HDMI output (Type C mini-pin connector)
- Picture Angle (in 35mm  format equivalent) Approx. 1.5x lens focal length
- Viewfinder Eye-level penta-Dach mirror type; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.7 to +0.5m-1)
- Focusing Screen Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage/Magnification (with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1) Approx. 95%/ Approx. 0.8x
- Autofocus TTL phase detection by Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module with AF-assist (range approx. 0.5-3m); 11 focus point; Detection range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20øC/68øF)
- Focus Modes 1) Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous servo AF (AF-C); Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A), predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status 2) Manual focus (MF) can be selected
- Exposure Metering System 1) 3D color matrix metering ? (type G and D lenses), color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses), 2) Center-weighted (weight given to 8-mm circle in center of frame), 3) Spot metering (meters 3.5-mm circle centered on selected focus point)
- Exposure Metering Range (at normal temperature [68øF/20øC], ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens) 1) 0 to 20 EV (3D-Color Matrix or Center-weighted metering), 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering)
- Exposure Control 1) Digital Vari-Program (Auto, Auto [Flash Off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, Night Portrait), 2) Programmed Auto [P], 3) Shutter-Priority Auto [S], 4) Aperture Priority Auto [A], 5) Manual [M], 6) Guide mode
- Auto Exposure Bracketing No
- Shutter Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal plane shutter, 30 to 1/4000sec in steps of 1/3 EV plus bulb
- Sync Contact X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/200 sec
- Flash Control 1) TTL: i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR using 420-pixel RGB sensor are available with built-in flash and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400, 2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-900 or SB-800 and CPU lens, 3) Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-900, SB-800, SB-28, SB-27, and SB-22S, 4) Distance-priority manual: Available with SB-900 and SB-800
- Flash Sync Modes 1) Front-curtain sync, 2) Red-eye reduction, 3) Slow sync with red-eye reduction, 4) Slow sync, 5) rear-curtain sync
- Self-Timer Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2 or 10s.
- Remote Control Via Remote Cord MC-DC2 (optional)
- GPS via GP-1 GPS Unit (optional)
- Supported Languages Total of 20 languages:Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Power Requirements Rechargeable EN-EL14 Li-ion battery, EH-5a AC adapter (available separately; requires optional EP-5A power connector )
- Battery Life (on a fully charged battery) Approx. 550 shots
- Tripod Socket 1/4 in. (ISO1222)
- Dimensions Approx. 124 x 96 x 74.5 mm
- Weight (without battery, memory card or body cap) Approx. 455g
- Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area) Rechargeable Li-ion battery EN-EL14, Quick charger MH-24, Rubber Eyecup DK-20, Camera strap AN-DC3, Body cap BF-1B, Eyepiece cap DK-5, Accessory shoe cover BS-1, View NX 2 CD, 2 Ferrite core
- Other Features Expeed 2 Image Processing Engine, Graphical User Interface, Guide Mode, D-Movie (Full HD recording), Full-time servo AF (AF-F) movie recording
Compare to other products in the Digital DSLR range.
Compare to other products in the Nikon range.
The AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED is a compact and lightweight 3.6x zoom lens featuring a host of state-of-the-art optical technologies such...
The INDURO Adventure AK-Series Tripod Kits are among the most popular series of tripods on the market today. The AKB Tripod kit features quick...
Go all day with the lightweight, comfortable Fastpack 100 backpack. It protects your digital SLR compactly while providing generous storage for your other gear....
The carbon black Vector: 2 Shoulder Bag from Tenba combines both function and style. The strong 600 Denier nylon external composition is rugged and...
The carbon black Vector: 1 Shoulder Bag from Tenba combines both function and style. The strong 600 Denier nylon external composition is rugged and...
Polarizing filters can enhance a blue sky, suppress unwanted glare and improve color saturation in general. In additon reflections on glass, water, shiny surfaces,...
Neutral UV filters absorb the very short ultra-violet wavelenghts, which - especially in the mountains, in high altitudes and over long stretches of water...
Get the perfect balance of speed and reliability for HD video and faster shot-to-shot performance with SanDisk Extremer HD Video SDHCT cards. Delivering Class...
Completely fluff-free, grease-absorbing cloth for gentle, yet effective cleaning of optical lenses (glasses, lenses, magnifiers), but alsosuitable for CDs, records, photos, slides,TV/monitor screens, etc. Washable...