LEICA M-E 18mp Camera body - Antharcite Grey
Product Highlights 18MP Full Frame CCD Sensor
Fits Leica M-Mount Lenses
2.5" TFT LCD with 230,000 Pixels
Manual Focus with Optical Viewfinder
Omitted Low-pass Filter for Fine Detail
ISO Sensitivity Up to 2500
All Metal Die-Cast Magnesium Body
Anthracite-Gray Finish with Leather Trim
Included Adobe Lightroom Software
The M-E Digital Rangefinder Camera from Leica is a full frame, interchangeable lens camera that embodies the notion that less is more. By concentrating on essential photographic functions, the M-E produces high quality images in a fast and stealthy manner. The camera houses a full frame (36 x 24 mm) sensor but retains a compact, durable and well-designed form.
The 18MP CCD sensor in full 35mm format offers high-resolution imaging and the omission of the sensor's low-pass filter creates photos with fine details and an increased visual impact. The sensor matches well with the compact M-system and M-series lenses, giving uniform exposure across the entire sensor. The camera's compatibility with the full line of superb Leica M-series lenses provides flexibility in shooting and sharp imagery.
By declining to incorporate features such as Live View and Video functions, the M-E frees itself to perfect only those functions that create a better photographic image. Its fast and accurate manual focusing is achieved via the optical viewfinder/rangefinder and the smooth, exact focusing ring of a Leica lens. Shutter speeds from bulb mode through 1/4000th of seconds can be set manually or automatically determined by the camera. The shutter mechanism is a closed type focal plane shutter with external cocking mechanics and provides a quiet and smooth action.
A 2.5" TFT LCD screen with 230,000 pixels offers clear image playback and menu control and the camera body itself is an all-metal casing made of die-cast magnesium with an attractive anthracite-gray finish and a real leather wrap which provides a good grip as well as good looks. A hot shoe mount is available for optional flash attachment.
This is an ideal camera for those interested in a pure photographic system which produces uncompromised image quality.
18MP Full-frame CCD Sensor The highly light sensitive full-frame CCD sensor is ideal for the compact nature of the M-E and the high quality Leica M-series lenses. Uniform light exposure from corner to corner of the sensor provides sharp, high quality images.
Omitted Low-pass Filter The omission of the otherwise usual low-pass filter ensures that images possess fine details and a particularly natural visual impact.
Optical Viewfinder/Rangefinder Manual focus is provided through the large, clear, bright-line rangefinder with 0.68x magnification and automatic parallax compensation. The viewfinder's frame lines match the image sensor size at 3.2 feet (1 m). Split or superimposed image rangefinder is shown as a bright field in the center of the viewfinder image. The eyepiece is adjusted to -0.5 dpt. An LED display is visible in the optical viewfinder showing auto shutter speeds and exposure correction warnings.
Exposure Exposure metering is Through the Lens (TTL) metering, center-weighted with variable aperture. There are two exposure modes (manual and automatic shutter speed priority) and exposure compensation is -3 EV to +3 EV in 1/3 stops.
Handsome, Durable Design Milled brass top cover with all metal, magnesium body. Anthracite-gray finish and black leather trim.
Image File Format and Size The M-E shoots in both DNG (RAW data uncompressed or nonlinear compressed) and JPEG formats. DNG file size is 18 MB (compressed) and 36 MB (uncompressed). Exact JPEG file sizes depend on resolution and image content.
User Profiles Up to four sets of camera and exposure settings can be saved under a user-selected profile name and rapidly retrieved whenever required.
Menu Languages English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
Other Functions Saturation, Contrast, Sharpening
Accessories All optional accessories compatible with the Leica M9/M9-P digital camera will fit the Leica M-E.
Software A free Adobe Lightroom software download is included. .
- 18 MP
- Lens Mount Leica M Mount
- Camera Format Full-Frame
- Pixels Actual: 18.5 Megapixel
- Effective: 18 Megapixel
- Max Resolution 18MP: 5270 x 3516
- Other Resolutions 18MP: 5212 x 3472
- 10MP: 3840 x 2592
- 4.5MP: 2592 x 1728
- 2MP: 1728 x 1152
- 1MP: 1280 x 846
- Sensor Type / Size CCD, 35.8 x 23.9 mm
- File Formats Still Images: DNG, JPEG
- Dust Reduction System Y
- Noise Reduction No
- Memory Card Type SD
- AV Recording
- Video Recording No
- Focus Control
- Focus Type Manual
- Focus Mode Manual Focus (M)
- Viewfinder Type Optical, LCD Display
- Viewfinder Magnification Approx. 0.68x
- Diopter Adjustment - 3 to +3 m
- Display Screen 2.5" Rear Screen LCD (230000)
- Screen Coverage 100%
- Live View No
- Exposure Control
- ISO Sensitivity Auto, 160-2500 (Extended Mode: 80-)
- Shutter 240 - 1/4000 seconds
- Metering Method Center-weighted average metering
- Exposure Modes Modes: Manual, Shutter Priority
- Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- White Balance Modes Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Natural White), Fluorescent (White), Kelvin, Manual, Shade, Tungsten
- Burst Rate Up to 2 fps at 18 MP
- Max Sync Speed 1 / 180 sec
- Flash Compensation -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Dedicated Flash System TTL
- External Flash Connection Hot Shoe
- Start-up Time 0.7 Seconds
- Continuous Shooting Up to 2 fps
- Self Timer 2 sec, 12 sec
- Interval Recording No
- Date&Time Stamp No
- Wi-Fi Capable (With Optional Transmitter) No
- Software Requirements Windows: XP, Vista, 7
- Mac: OS X 10.6 or later
- Battery 1x Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 3.7VDC, 1860mAh
- Operating/Storage Temperature Operating
- 32 to 104 øF (0 to 40 øC)
- Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.5 x 3.1 x 1.5" / 139 x 80 x 37 mm
- Weight 20.64 oz / 585 g with battery
Compare to other products in the Point and Shoot Cameras range.
Compare to other products in the Leica range.